Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  April 1, 2012 5:00am-6:00am EDT

5:00 am
>> this week on the journal editorial report. the waiting ends as the supreme court justices decide the fate of obamacare, all the highlights from the oral argument and plus, the political implications, the individual mandate falls and what it would mean for america's health care system and all of that and the phenomenon of the hunger games, it's a box office smash, should your kids be seeing it? welcome to the journal, editorial reportment i am he' paul gigot. after a historical three days of oral argument. the fate of president obama's signature legislative achievement the patient production and affordable care act is now in the hands of the nine supreme court justices. a look at the highs and lows of the proceedings. wall street columnist, dan
5:01 am
henninger, joe, and opinion.com editor james toronto. so, momentous week at the court, fascinating week. before the week, the conventional wisdom, this is an easy call, the law is going to be upheld. at the end of the week, you could almost feel the shift during the course of the week and at the end, even the left was saying, now, there's a very good chance that part or all of this law could go down. >> yeah, and the big news was justice anthony kennedy. justice scalia was comically judicious, look how many times it says laughter in the transcript. and he's taking serious where the states are the plaintiffs in the case, both the argument that the individual mandate and that you have to buy insurance is unconstitutional, it exceeds congress's legitimate power and the argument that if the
5:02 am
individual mandate falls the best remedy is to strike down the entire law. >> paul: let's here the first, on the individual mandate. hear from justice kennedy. >> saying that the federal government has a duty to tell the individual citizen that it must act and that is different from what we have in previous cases. >> well. >> it changes the relationship of the federal government to the individual, in a very fundamental way. >> and the core principle in anthony kennedy's jurisprudence is liberty. that is individual liberty. you've seen it in gay rights cases, but he talks about the separation of powers. if one part of government, the federal government, doesn't get too large or too powerful, you protect individual liberty with tension between state power and federal power, that's really a central issue in this case, isn't it? >> well, there's no question about it and the government's case denies that it involves any of that sort of thing.
5:03 am
which is one of the reasons they were having such difficulty making their argument. and as chief justice roberts pointed out at one point. the federal government has enumerated power, we know what they are and they are limited and the-- the question that they kept putting to the government's lawyers is in what way is this extension of the commerce clause not exceeding those enumerated powers and because they deny that it has anything to do with any sort of extraordinary extension of the commerce clause, he was unable to talk about that subject and i think that's the reason he sort of looked foolish throughout the day's argument. >> paul: you mean the solicitor general. >> the solicitor general was not able to talk to the issue that kennedy was putting to him. >> paul: but kennedy put forth, that justice kennedy could find a leadership with the young people, to the larger health insurance market. >> right, saying at some point you'll consume health care,
5:04 am
therefore, we can mandate, the problem is it isn't a limiting principle. and you say that health care leads to health insurance, all sorts of things lead through health care, you know, whether it's healthy decisions, life choices, so, it's really another way of stating the police powers that-- and the separation-- >> the separation of states. >> the separation of the states and the federal government that's at the core of this jurisprudence. >> how big a hole is there for justice kennedy to walk through if he wants to uphold this mandate? >> not a very big hole, it seems to me. i mean, he would have to define it very narrowly and explain why the health insurance business is different from all other businesses, different so the federal government can order people to buy something. all right, in prefacing that comment that joe just quoted. kennedy says, well, they say that this market is unique. of course, they'll say that about the next market that comes before us. >> all right, let's take up another issue, which is if the
5:05 am
mandate goes down, then, how much of the rest of the law needs to fall and let's listen to justice ginsburg. >> there's a question of whether we say everything you did was no good and now start from scratch or to say, you know, there are many things that have nothing to do, frankly, with the affordable health care and there are some that maybe it's better to let congress to decide whether it wants them in or out. so, why should we say, but the choice between a wrecking operation which is what you are requesting or a salvage job and the more conservative approach would be salvage rather than throwing out everything. >> dan, a salvage job. that's what she's undertaking here, is she implying that the individual mandate's already gone and trying to save the rest of the law? >> they obviously are trying to save the rest of the law
5:06 am
and justice scalia got one of his biggest laugh when he said doesn't the 8th amendment come into play here. >> cruel and unusual punishment because the justices would have to sort through all 2700 pages and say, well, that stays, that goes, that stays, that goes. that would be a big undertaking. >> and it gets to the nature of the law itself. judge vincent said it was not severable. i think that judge vincent may be the only one that read all 7,200 pages, once you do that, you see it's just the most incomprehensible complex piece of legislation and for somebody to, like justice ginsburg to start describing which of these endless parts you're going to save, is kind after fool's errand. >> the critics of the court if it overturns the law says it's an activist act by the justices, they're really just taking this law and throwing it out in total, but would it be activist or more activist just to overthrow part of it?
5:07 am
>> well, see, that's the point. well, if they've struck some parts and not others, they're trading a new law that congress never intended, so, wouldn't it be better, justice scalia argues, to give congress a blank slate. to say, look, you screwed up with this one and this is an important problem and the analogy he drew was to campaign finance law, where in the late 1970's, they threw out some parts of regulations and political speech and now we just have a mish-mash of contradictory rules. >> paul: james. >> judge vincent had the best answer. >> at the appellate court. >> the trial court. >> the best answer to justice ginsburg versus a wrecking job. effectively designed watch where the designer made a significant error in designing one of the main moving parts. you can't salvage it, you have to throw it out, it's junk.
5:08 am
>> still ahead, what happens to america's health insurance markets if the individual mandate is overturned and would it help or hurt president obama in the fall? answer to those questions and more when we come back. ok, guys-- what's next ? chocolate lemonade ? susie's lemonade... the movie. or... we make it pink ! with these 4g lte tablets, you can do business at lightning-fast spes. we'll take all the strawberries, dave. you got it, kid. we have a winner. we're definitely gonna need another one. small sinesses that want to grow use 4g lte technology from verizon. i wonder how she does it. that's why she's the boss. because the small business with the best tecology rules. contact the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 1-800-974-6006.
5:09 am
a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually se arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammatio plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. a celebrex is not a narcotic. when it comes to relieving your arthritis pain, you and your doctor need to balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naen, and melocam have the same cardiovascar warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart dease or risk factors such as high blo pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach anintestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers,
5:10 am
which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you'v had an asthma attack, hives, oother allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. i n't know... i forget. hello, neighbors. hey, scott... perfect timing. feeding your lawn need not be so difficult. get a load of this bad boy. sweet! this snap spreader system from scotts makes caring for your lawn snap-crackin' simple, guaranteed. just take e handy, no-mess bag, then snap, lock, and go. it's a new day for lawn care, edings never been so easy. to see a demo of the snap spreader, go to scos.com. feed your ln. feed it!
5:11 am
>> do i think it would damage the democrat's laws overturned? you folks read stuff more than i do. there's a significant school of thought that the administration is-- puts them in a better position for the election if it's turned down. >> that was senate majority leader harry reid speculating on the potential benefit for the president and democrats if all or part of obamacare is overturned. let's talk about that and talk about the health care system first. what happens to this law if the mandate and some of the main regulations are overturned. >> we're just going to have the incredible amount of
5:12 am
uncertainty, even more so than we have with the law, as it is now. you're going to kind of have a hole right in the middle of it and i think that congress is going to have to go back one way or the other. and either defer this for a year, two years, maybe longer, and come up with something, that will work without the heart of the law. >> and you still have potentially a lot of it still in place, maybe the states having to put together the exchanges and the subsidies in place. but, no cost control mechanism to control the cost of health care. >> right, no, exactly. you'll have the regime like in six states right now. where they have all kinds of regulations that drive up health costs, but nothing to offset them, so, i think you're going to see major problems. >> what about the political implications, dan. you buy harry reid's arguments and james carville's argument the democratic consul tonight that this will help democrats. >> i don't see this at all. something they've been trying
5:13 am
to do for 70 years. >> only 70? >> yeah. >> it was, i mean, talked about during the depression and the roosevelt years and this is the crown jewel of president obama's, excuse me, first term. and for the supreme court to overturn it, i think is a significant blow to the democratic idea and sure, they'll try to demonize the supreme court, what else are they going to do and out there among average voters, it's going to suppress the president's support. >> but you have a lot of republicans, even this week who are fretting, oh, my gosh, we'll lose our best issue, if this is dehe feeted. i mean, steven king, and our colleague wrote about the iowa congressman saying oh, man, this would be bad. does that make any sense? >> well, it makes sense if you think about how it's bad for obama if the law is upheld because that means he has to run on this widely hated law that is going to have terrible-- >> if you're like dan, like dan and you think as i do, that this is, they want this
5:14 am
because they really want the government to run health care. and this is the culmination of the social welfare. >> right, that's a policy argument and this is an argument about the short-term political effect. all right, it doesn't really make sense to say, it's going to help obama to have his signature initiative deemed unconstitutional. it's hard to see how it helps obama either way. and so, the answer is, really, what happened was, this law that was passed two years ago was a political disaster for obama and either way he's going to pay the price for it in november. >> dan, what about the court when it thinks about it, particularly chief justice john roberts, when he thinks about the reputation of the court, he must know if this is a 5-4 decision that the left and maybe even the president himself is really going to go after the supreme court and say, fundamentally, this was a political judgment and another bush v gore. >> yeah. >> do you think that would give the justices pause to say, you know what? whatever we think about the, the constitutional arguments,
5:15 am
we've got to think about the reputation of the court and so, we're going to be very cautious here about overturning the law. >> well, i understand that concern, but i think, what we have here, is a division similar to one we've talked about before, which is the partisan division in congress itself. and everyone followed this case and obviously, the case was argued seriously, over the issue of the-- very substantive issues and what we discovered is this court, the courts, are divided over the law, left and right divided over the intent of power vis-a-vis the states and the individual. and this is, they are now so far apart. it's going to be very difficult to bring them together. just as it is difficult now to bring congress together, and ultimately, i think, this is the sort of thing that has to be resolved in the election booth and in the november election and the american people have to think about which direction they want to go in. >> joe, what do you think is going to happen. >> i think 5-4 decision
5:16 am
upholding the law, but right on the edge there, it could go either way. >> paul: james. >> i also think 5-4, but to strike down the mandate and after sitting through the session this week, i think there's a good chance the whole law would be overturned. >> it would be hard to imagine anthony kennedy supporting the mandate after all the criticism, articulate criticism he made in those hearings. >> paul: this is bigger than one president or one election, or even one law, this is about the structure of the american government and liberty and i hope the justices take it that way and ignore all of the outside politics. when we come back, it's a box office phenomenon, setting records
5:17 am
5:18 am
5:19 am
5:20 am
>> well, it's a box office smash. taking in millions last weekend. is hunger games appropriate for kids. based on the first book in the young adult trilogy by sues ann collins, in a controversial essay, critics book critic, megan called it hyper violent and lamented what she says as the book industries ever more appalling offerings for adolescent readers. and megan joins me now. and thanks so much for being here. >> nice to be here, thanks. >> so you followed the book and now the movie. what is the appeal of this phenomenon to, why are so many young adults, young teenagers seeing this movie? >> it's, well, it's very compelling story, i mean, i think that first of all, we know that the gladiatorial concept has been interesting to people since before the christian era and now we're in the post christian era and people are still enjoying gad
5:21 am
toral contests. we all want to slow down and look at the thing on the highway. and that brings people into it. a transgressive idea children as young as 12, killing each other. fighting to the death in the arena for the pleasure of the adults around them. and i think you can say that there are all sorts of concepts in the book, that are, are less lurid and interesting, and so we can talk about that. >> and one, one of my colleagues here has a 13-year-old son and he allowed him to go to the movie and he said that there were actually some very good traditional moral themes in the movie. and what are those? >> yeah, well, that's right. once you get past the violence and i think maybe starting at the age of 13 and going up and not younger than that i would say. and you have a really classic and interesting demonstration of the individuals, of noble individual who is motivated by good and honorable instincts, doling with a tyrannical and
5:22 am
distorted government that is, that takes concepts like honor, and hope, and twists them in evil ways, and what you have is the in it particular story, you have the president of this corrupt culture is invoking concepts like honor, in an entirely cynical way, part of the way that's depressing the polllation. >> paul: politicians have been known to do that. >> and individuals through their acts of genuine sacrifice and genuine love show in sharp relief that kind of default, as it were the politicians are telling. the individual against the state is a live issue at all times and certainly not, i think your conversation a few minutes ago, has to do with that. >> paul: you wrote, in your essay for the journal, about how the larger universe of these young adult books do tend to deal with very dark themes these days, dysfunctional families and
5:23 am
behavior, even depraved behavior. why -- obviously, the books sell, the publishers wouldn't public them if they didn't. what does it tell us about the larger culture that these themes are so prominent and popular? >> well, they're prominent in a particular sub group. there are young adult books that don't deal with the dark stuff. >> again, going back to the first point, the human creature is drawn to darkness and therefore, if you offer darkness, people will gravitate towards it. >> it's one of the more remarkable features of the way we're designed. in the hunger games and young adult books, there's, a very strong, how do i put it, there's a strong element of the scrutiny under which teenagers find themselves. and you know, i thought about the hunger games itself, and it's -- it's like helicopter parenting plus facebook, plus twitter. and the cash characters, in
5:24 am
order to survive have to get people to like them. an analogy for high school. and what do children pay for these messages, we like to think of childhood as an incident time. relatively, and when i showed my age, the hardee boys and robinson craruso, long ways from it. >> all has a dark side, be robinson caruso. if it takes distance from the reader or a place that's immediate. i would say with the hunger games in particular, the books and movie really are for children on the older end of the spectrum. >> paul: right. >> a lot of pressure on the parents for the ten-year-old-- in my household there's a ten-year-old there's an outrage when he she's not allowed to see the movie, but it's rather well done for what it is, about it's excellent
5:25 am
moral themes and yet it's unbelievable brutal and tough to see, you know, a 12-year-old with a spear sticking out of her. >> paul: thanks so much for being here. >> thanks for having me. >> paul: we have to take one more break. more break. when your finances can't manage themselves. but that doesn't mean they won't try. bring all your finances together with the help of the one person who can. a certified financial planner professional. cfp. let's make plan.
5:26 am
open up. we have come for the foul, unholy beast. the one with the red markings. the miracle whip? stand aside that we may burn it. [ indistinct shouting ] have you ever tried it? it's actually quite sweet... and tangy. ♪ i like sweet things. [ man ] shut up, henry. ♪ ♪ [ multiple sounds making melodic tune ] ♪ [ male announcer ] at northrop grumman,
5:27 am
every innovation, every solution, comes together for a single purpose -- to make the world a safer place. that's the value of performance. northrop grumman. laces? really? slip-on's the way to go. more people do that, security would be like -- there's no charge for the bag. thanks. i know a quiet little place where we can get some work done. there's a three-prong plug. i have club passes. [ male announcer ] get the mileage card with special perks on united, like a free checked bag,
5:28 am
united club passes, and priority boarding. thanks. ♪ okay. what's your secret? [ male announcer ] the united mileageplus explorer card. get it and you're in. >> time now for hits and misses, obama naming jim kim for the world bank and he passed over, for the dartmouth and medical doctor and outsider perspective to a dysfunctional institution and do tangible good for the world's poor. inspired pick. >> paul: not sure how good for jim kim going into that snake pit. >> and miss for beganet, a
5:29 am
petition to krl governor walker. and turned out that 25 ganet reporters signed the petition as well and they revealed this in the full transparency and did not disclose the names. reporters. paul, who will watch the watch dogs. >> dan. >> paul: a hit for the people described in recent stories as avoiding the new iphones and clinging to the ancient cell phones like the samsung 707. now, i'm not a techno fobe, i love carrying around 25 books on the e-reader, but minimized by interface and not captured by the world of computer engineers. >> paul: that's slick. why don't you have a big clunker. >> i got in on the ground floor. that's it for the this edition of the journal editorial report. thanks for watching, i'm paulgit
5:30 am
here next week. . >> jon: on fox news watch. >> everybody has to buy food. sooner or later. so you define it as food and therefore, everybody is in the market, therefore, you can make people buy broccoli. >> jon: the u.s. supreme court tackles the issue surrounding obamacare and asking tough questions. and many in the news media attempt to attack the conservative justices and how is the media react if it's shot down. the trayvon martin shooting case gets more press coverage as a new video emerges of the man who pulled the trigger. and have journalists done their best with the difficult case or has all objectivity been lost? >> an open mic catches president obama asking the russians for a special favor leading up to the election in november. is this something the media
5:31 am
should be giving more attention? >> it's-- rick santorum takes a new york times reporter to task, accusing the times of manipulating his message. did the attack help or hurt? and it's the return of a television legend. >> you say in san diego. >> on the panel, writer and fox news contributor judy miller. monica crowley, jim pinkerton, a contributing editor, the conservative magazine and columnist for the daily beast, kirsten powers, i'm jon scott. fox news watch is on right now. ♪ >> the supreme court justices should now have all the information they need to decides on your health care coverage. >> in a landmark case the supreme court began arguments on the sweeping overhaul. >> marathon argument that the supreme court over president obama's health care law.
5:32 am
>> jon: very big week in the national media when it comes to coverage. presentation of the supreme court case and the ultimate decision these justices will make. jim, the media didn't have much to do except speculate what the justices are going to decide, is that the appropriate way to go about this? >> well, yeah, you've got to fill up the time, right? including us here. and i counted five different media stories, one is what's inside the courtroom. and so scalia and-- and the second outside of the supreme court and third the spin as to what would happen, if the obamacare is either upheld or overturned and fourth, the paul ryan budget and health care impacts and fifth, the presidential election, although my favorite was the new york times editorial, saying we want the supreme court to realize its limitations and not-- after 40 years of praising activists judges, whoever they're now saying, listen, school district construction is the way to go. >> and what about the media and the role in interpreting what's happened this week? >> well, you can really see
5:33 am
the kind of collective, omg taking place in the media, because those people who had predicted that this was a no-brainer and a clear win for the president, are now backing away. and, and for example, very well-known and well respected commentator told cnn. you know, this is going to be a train wreck for the administration if he loses it and jim carville was out there spinning, say, no, no, no, it's good, good for the democrats because then the republican will be saddled with this issue. >> politico had a headline at that said cnn's tuben ruins podus or scotu schs for p ochlo it's interesting, the people who predicted it would stand were the legal analyst and
5:34 am
people on the-- political analysts were more likely to say it wouldn't, because they were willing to accept the idea that there could be politics in the united stat supreme court. they weren't anticipating the arguments that scalia, that could have come from national review. it's a conservative, political view and he so, i think that, i don't know if it's going to analyze enough for the people to understand that dynamic. >> will this ruling affect the election? >> sure. either way it will impact what's happening in november. what's interesting, because the supreme court didn't have any cameras, you didn't have sights, only sounds and left for everybody in the media and american people at large to supply their own dramas, and we certain got it with jeffrey and others running out of the court with breathless analysis what happened. and nobody knows for sure. in fact the justices until on friday with the straw vote how it would come down.
5:35 am
what's interesting, what kirsten is talking about, too, how many legal analysts especially those on the left, it never sort of dawned on them that the constitutionality of obamacare would be in question, even though this thing has been debated in public for the last three years. >> it has been an opportunity for the press to give us all a civics lesson. have he they taken advantage of it? >> i think they've done their best to cover this. i mean, they can't resist the details, like whether the solicitor general stuttered or not and how many glasses of water he drank and so on. yeah, i think the press have said, look, stipulated mostly in favor of obamacare and then once survived, it's the most important supreme court case. >> the graphic was shown time and time again, the generally liberal court members versus the generally conservative ones, four on four with anthony kennedy, probably somewhere in the middle. and constructing this as a liberal versus conservative argument, maybe not so much a constitutional question.
5:36 am
>> well, i think it-- that's the way it's now being seen is liberal versus conservative and everyone pitching to kennedy, who is soft on freedom, apparently. so, everybody's trying to couch the argument that way, but you know, i think this is an easier story for the print media to cover than television, it's really hard to compress a lot of these arguments into a minute and a half and abc chose not to do so, right, exactly. >> without the images and even with the audio, radio doesn't make great television. more news watch coming up, ahead, has george zimmerman already been tried in the media for the killing of trayvon martin? >> media interest in the trayvon martin killing heats up for a second week as details of the shooting and accusations of racism compete for coverage. has the press been pushed by a liberal agenda or have the national media provided objective reporting? answers next. on news watch. turn left. the passat is one of nine volkswagen models
5:37 am
named a 2012 iihs top safety pick. not that we'd ever brag about it. turn right. come on, nine. turn left. hit the brakes. huh? how'd that get there? [ male announcer ] we can't hide how proud we are to have nine top safety picks like the passat and jetta. so we're celebrating with our "safety in numbers" event. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease the 2012 jetta for $159 a month.
5:38 am
here's a chance to create jobs in america. oil sands projects, like kearl, and the keystone pipeline will provide secure and reliable energy to the united states. over the coming years, projects like these could create more than half a million jobs in the us alone. from the canadian border, through the mid west, to the gulf coast. benefiting hundreds of thousands of families throughout the country. this is just what our economy needs right now.
5:39 am
chocolate lemonade ? susie's lemonade... the movie. or... we make it pink ! with these 4g lte tablets, you can do business at lightning-fast spes. we'll take all the strawberries, dave. you got it, kid. we have a winner. we're definitely gonna need another one. small sinesses that want to grow use 4g lte technology from verizon. i wonder how she does it. that's why she's the boss. because the small business with the best tecology rules. contact the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 1-800-974-6006. ring only shows up once a year. what are we going to do about it? here's to more saturdays in the sun, and budgets better spent. here's to black friday prices that turn more shoppers into savers. to picking up. trading up. mixing it up. to well-earned muddy boots. and a lot more-spring per dollar. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. black friday is back. now through wednesday save on these top brand project starters, just $8 each.
5:40 am
>> i'm not going to be politically correct. i'm going to say it like i see it. trayvon was hunted down like a rabid dog. he was shot in the street. he was racially profiled. >> jon: florida congresswoman fredericka wilson with her take on the trayvon martin shooting. her comments to the media after a hearing she chaired on racial profiling. the parents of trayvon martin also attended the hearing. the story continues to get coverage, kirsten, but is what the congressman, is what she said true? do we know? >> no, we don't know that. and i think that that's the problem. that people are saying things as if these are facts and if there's been any conclusion. i will say that i think a lot of this is driven by the fact that people feel there should
5:41 am
be an arrest and i will go out and actually say i think that the races had been reversed if a black person did this to a white or hispanic person, they would have been arrested so, i think that because of the lack of arrest, it's getting people more incited about it and i don't think that the police department is coming out and clearing stating why he hasn't been arrested. he did kill somebody. what is self-defense when you have an unarmed person. >> how much of a story has been created in the media? >> well, there are some tragic facts here and one tragic fact, the young man is dead. that's about all we know, and as donna and melanie wrote on friday, the fact that no other facts are really for sure hasn't stopped everybody from weighing in, like as the person said, like they know some things, like they have a truth there to share. i think the only thing we know, i know for sure, other
5:42 am
than trayvon martin is dead is that roseanne barr and spike lee, both in their own way, contributed to the creation of a would-be lynch mob with irresponsible tweets. >> jon: yeah, what spike lee did, for those who don't know, he sent out to his hundreds of thousands of twitter followers, sent out an address he believed belonged to george zimmerman the shooter. it turned out to be the wrong address. now, in that way, isn't he inciting the same kind of violence that killed emmitt till decades ago. >> i clearly don't think that this kind of behavior is helpful in this case, where people are so inflamed and feelings are so sensitive and hot about this. look, i think because of the media we know a lot more about this, jim, than we knew last week, we know, for example, because of reporting that the chief prosecutor recommended that zimmerman be arrested and we did not know at that the last time we talked about that, and we also nthis case,
5:43 am
we also know that mr. zimmerman apparently did not have a broken nose and was bloody when he was taken to the police station because we have the video. >> i don't know what that video shows, i want to get to that. the police in sanford released that video this week, we'll play it here in a second and it shows george zimmerman, but here was the reaction from many in the media. >> welcome to politics nation, i'm al sharpton, tonight, dramatic new video that could turn the trayvon martin case upside down. and bring us one step closer to justice. this new sanford police video shows trayvon's killer, george zimmerman arriving at the police station just minutes after the shooting. >> well, it was roughly 45 minutes after the shooting, according to the time stamp on the tape, but does it show us anything? >> maybe, maybe not. maybe there was a medic called
5:44 am
to the scene who cleaned up blood had there been blood. we don't know. and remarkable two things. the shooting take place on february 23rd. weeks went by before anybody heard about this case. what happens in the interim. that's something that should be investigated and reported. the other point just like with the obamacare coverage on the supreme court this week, we've had an orgy of rampant speculation, one photo line and a video came out and another narrative and nobody knows for sure, it's incredibly irresponsible for members of the media and particularly members of congress to go out better to go out with the rushes to judgment. >> the shooting was on the 26th and there was a medic who apparently cleaned up george zimmerman on the scene. what about the the new black panther party issuing this
5:45 am
bounty for george zimmerman, i mean, should there be the same level of media outrage was there was for the trayvon martin. >> no, not the same level. the new black panthers hardly exist, four members, they have he' been condemned by the actual black panthers and i don't want to overstate what they've done, it's terrible to do that and i think that anybody who is, you know, trying to incite racial problems or hatred should be called to account, but i would not compare it to someone else being killed. >> and pick up on al sharpton on msnbc. as many reporters noted. what remains is the group. how could this guy be both an anchor person and an activist with the bull horn on the same time, and just to flip it, what would happen if sean hannity were leaving his show to go do a rally for some criminal justice prosecution somewhere, i mean, when hannity came close to
5:46 am
seemingly being a part of the tea party, fox yanked him away from the event a couple of years ago, the double standard, of course, sharpton, he can do both, be a demagogue and a tv anchor, and shouldn't be gone unnoted. >> have a history of-- >> more news watch coming up. if you see something that you believe shows evidence of media bias. e-mail us, news watch@foxnews.com. and up next, rick santorum attacks the new york times. >> quit distorting my words. >> rick santorum rips into the new york times for misrepresenting his message about g.o.p. front runner romney. did attacking the media help or hurt? and president obama sends a secret message to the russians, but the mic was on! >> how did the media react? all next on news watch. [ rosa ] i'm rosa and i quit smoking with chantix. when the doctor told me that i could smoke for the first wee.. i'm like...yeah, ok... little did i know
5:47 am
that one week later i wasn't smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help rightway if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operati machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
5:48 am
5:49 am
5:50 am
>> neither our president nor russian president knew the mic was on in seoul, south korea when the president said the words and some critics say the president gave us a glimpse into his future foreign policy if he wins the second term. did the media do enough? >> they didn't seem terribly interested and didn't really want to connect it to other great events like dick cheney and back in 2000, major league, if you remember that one. and joe biden and the health care bill. this is why television can be so compelling.
5:51 am
>> jon: it isn't just talking about politics, it's talking about foreign policy and disarmament. >> two frightening things were said in that exchange. the first was the president of the united states whispering not thinking he's listened to except by the russian president and the said after the election i'll have more flexibility. flexibility for what, once you're reelected and a moment out of the dr. strangelove when the russian president i will transmit this information to vladimir and that is scary. >> monica, in a sense, the story, which is a legitimate story and should be a political issue, i think, because it reflects a lot about this president and his views an undermined by speaker boehner, as long as the president is overseas we're not going to criticize him. why not? why not criticize him when he does something like at that over j seas as opposed to american territory. i don't get the standard.
5:52 am
>> what about mitt romney, he came out and suggested that the russians were maybe our most potent enemy right now. that seemed to get more coverage than the obama remark. >> well, i mean, he definitely stepped on the story for the republicans, because by saying this that was pretty frightening stuff, i think, you know, the obama thing, actually the question is what did it mean? i think that everyone sort of accepts that people push things off until when they're running for reelection or in a, you know, a hot primary season, or you know, election season, but what did that mean? i didn't see that covered at that well and distracted by romney's comment. >> let's talk about somebody else in the republican race ap the media, take a listen. >> and work for republicans and-- >> and barack obama on the issue of health care, because he fashioned the blueprint. i've been saying it at every speech the quit distorting my words. if i see it, it's (bleep) >> that's republican presidential candidate rick
5:53 am
santorum losing it on new york times reporter jeff zelaney claiming the reporter was twisting his words about romney. >> what he's trying to do is make a case to republican voters here and a common tactic for republican presidential candidates or democratic presidential candidates to try to use the media as a foil. he clearly knew the cameras were rolling here. >> jon: does santorum have a case? >> well, look, santorum has problems here, the use of the expletive worked against his born again evangelical brand and he was on the down slope, and slipping in the polls and mitt romney looked like the ultimate nominee so the traction was not going to happen for him and the third point is that what rick santorum was saying here, now, when you go after the media as a conservative, you have to go about it in the rye way. newt gingrich knows how to do it, you go full frontal at the left wing media and then back
5:54 am
off. what he was doing there, and santorum has done this before, is come off as looking a little whiney and in that case it always back fires. >> jon: all right. a page from the newt gingrich play book? >> no, a wannabe page. it looks like people, angry it looks like people, angry and e love gardening...
5:55 am
yeah, but the feeling wasn't always mutual. i should be arrested for crimes against potted plant-kind.
5:56 am
we're armed, and inexperienced. people call me an over-waterer. [ female announcer ] with miracle-gro, you don't have to a great gardener to have a green thumb. every miracle-gro product helps your garden grow bigger, more beautiful flowers and bountiful vegetables. guaranteed. so even if... i have all these tools, and i have no idea how to use them. [ female announcer ] everyone grows with miracle-gro.
5:57 am
[ crunches ] mmm. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] pringles... bursting with more flavor. [ crunch! ] >>. >> i want you to get up right
5:58 am
now and open the window and stick your head out and yell, i'm as mad as hell and i'm not going to take this anymore. >> played by actor mad as hell speech in the classic "network," one of the few memorable films about the tv news business. broadcast news hit it with albert brooks and holly hunter and a film about a love triangle in a setting of new york newsroom. it introduced us to the term flop sweat. then came soon to be a classic. >> i'm ron burgundy. >> thanks for stopping by. >> thanks for stopping by. >> jon: anchorman, played brilliantly by will ferrell.
5:59 am
that was 2004 and eight years later just when you thought the airwaves and movie theaters was safe from the likes of ron burgundy. >> conan, you look awful. [ laughter ] >> what? i look awful? >> you look like someone put a bright red wig on a skeleton and chucked it out of a helicopter. >> you came on my show to play the flute and insult me. was that the idea? >> no, paramount pictures and myself and ronald joseph and ron burgundy have come to terms on a sequel. >> jon: that is the wrap on news watch this week. thanks to our panel. i'm jon scott. thanks for watching. keep it right here on fox newss

76 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on